Thursday, September 11, 2008

Has Costa Rica Gone MAD?

Has Costa Rica gone MAD? that is the question!
I have now arrived at Golfito. The trip here was nothing like the blissful sailing that it was while going up north. sense leaving herradura I had the wind on the nose, and had to tack to get here.
I managed to do it in about two tacks. the first day I did 65 miles made good. and arrived at golfito late at night on the tenth. but not after getting hit with one of these fierce winds that swoop out of now where.

over all the trip went well, longer then I would have liked, but well.

Now I have a new problem. Like I said in the last post, my papers need to be extended so I can have time to get my electronics working, and then sail to Ecuador.
while I was blissfully cruising the coast, some costa rican politians got to getheer and started to talk. well, as can be expected the conclusion was not good. It resulted in costa rica no longer giving any forien vessle more then three months in the country. They will no longer allow people to extend their crusing permits to six months, something that every one has always done, or at least counted on being able to do. so here i sit with this new news in my lap, and papers the expire tomorow. I have one day to come up with something to do about this problem.
there are three options that one can do.
option one, go to one of the expensive marinas and pay a fee ( I hear it is a large one) to bond the boat, and keep it at the marina. I dont know aswell how much it costa to take the boat out of the bond. more over, while the boat is bonded, you can not move it.

option two, Leave the country. They are literally throwing cruisers out of costa rica, and into the hurrican season. If you do not leave, they will inpound the boat, and make you pay an astronomical percntage of the boats value (they determine the boats value, so saying it is worth two grand won´t fly).

now that I look at it, there are only two options.
I am going to try and persuade the customs to give me a extension, hopefully it will work.
if not, it looks like I will be sailing south soonner then I thought, like day after tomorow!

so there is the current update from the Banana Republic.
A quote from a man who is trying to make a living here running a cruisers facility says " Costa Rica is being harder on sailors then murders, and rapests!"
I would have to agree.

Cheers,
Josh
Live Your Dream!

3 comments:

Dave Graham said...

Hello Josh! Just found your blog today and it is good to know where you are and catch a few more details. What would you say to us pulling information off here for our articles in the YOUNG ADVENTURER column(and maybe some pictures when you get them) and we can go from there? Less work for you and more fun for us. Just let me know.

Meanwhile, blessings and fair winds!

Ann Graham
Editor, Wilderness School Magazine
www.Wilderness-School.us

Dingo said...

hey josh
Can you not have your parcel your awaiting sent to your next destination?

The Wayward Odyssey said...

Yes Dave, that would be fine. aswell there are some older photos in the older posts, but I will be putting up new ones when I can.