Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yet another day sitting in the bay.


well the past days have been for the most part, un-eventful. other then revealing the ugly truth to myself that it REALLY is the Pacific hurricane season, afew boats have already nealry been lost. More over I would be beating (never a good word when said involving a sailboat) against the trades to the Marquesas and beyond. so I have left myself with about two options. One is to sail up the coast, to Mexico, probably Puerto Vallarta and wait for the right time to leave. The other option I have given myself is to sail south. That being to Ecuador, maybe Peru, and Chile. That is the one that I am leaning towards. Some of the Facilities sound quite good, as well as the climate. But of course first thing first, and that is to get out of Golfito, with most systems working. The Autopilot is looking up, Robert a localy based electronic guy has come to the same conclusion as I had origanly come to. That the problem is the rudder indicator. The unite is damaged, and it is almost 100% certain it is from over angling it. In other words, BAD instalation, I guess it pays to really pay close atention to people and what they are doing when someone other then yourself instals something. Live and learn, hopefully the sensor will come back O.K. Now is a time when i really wish i had a spare pilot, then such a faliure wouldnt be so catastrofic, untill i get good wind and get my Aries working propore, it is of little to no use. The Aries is going through a referdishing. I have taken the head off and taken most of it apart. I have installed roller bearings in the airvanes pivot, and that seems to be a great improvment. I also removed the play from the Pendulum so that is a million times better. next things are finishing up with the rollers, and then working on the Pendulum shaft. I would really like to put in roller bearing, I think they would give very good preformance, but I think i will try and get the bushings to work better first.


well it was just another spectacular sunset out here so that means time to wrap this up.
cheers, Josh

1 comment:

Ninab54 said...

How do you prepare for hurricane season? Glad you intuition was correct. What did you end up deciding to do? Glad you got to enjoy the beautiful sunset.